Dynamically updated availability of ContactsPosted: June 17, 2011
Chris Ziegler just posted an idea called the “Universal Status Indicator” which was actually something I always wished for but didn’t really think through.
Since data connected smartphones are becoming more and more ubiquitous, it seems like a logical next step.
Here are some brainstorming ideas.
- Groups for organizing contacts, as well as specifying how much information you are comfortable sharing.
- Integration with multiple calendars (Meetings, Vacations, etc)
-> Share “I’m Busy” versus “I’m in a meeting” versus “In Meeting from 3:00PM to 5:00PM: 1 on 1 with the boss”
-> Voicemail or email
- Integration with social media (Latest status update or check-in?)
- Location sensitive (Exact location / General vicinity or neighborhood / City / State / Country? / None)
Designated locations (Home, Work, etc)
- Motion sensitive (Sorry, I’m driving)
- IM apps integration (Chat with me on Google Talk, etc)
- Needs to be a web service where multiple apps and OS’s can post latest status.
- Needs priority when multiple posts conflict
- Needs to happen automatically, people are lazy and don’t want to update all the time!